Shift times: 2-6.30pm (Sundays)
Venue: Akwaaba, Barrett’s Grove, Princess May School, N16 8AJ
Commitment: 2-4 Sundays a month for a minimum of 6 months.
We are looking for 2-4 volunteers to work 1:1 with children with autism at Akwaaba.
1:1 children’s volunteers will need to:
- Commit to attending Akwaaba as regularly as possible (a minimum of twice a month, but ideally more) for at least 6 months.
- Commit to the ethos of Akwaaba and work to make Akwaaba a non-hierarchal, anti-racist social centre.
- Provide a friendly, supportive, and safe environment for our young members.
- Work 1:1 with individual children with autism.
- Plan specific activities for the children they are paired with where necessary and support them to participate in general children’s activities and workshops.
- Support the children they are paired with to resolve conflicts with other children
Respond sensitively to challenging behaviour.
- Help to make sure children’s activities are accessible and inclusive for children with special needs.
- Listen to and recognise our young members and the difficulties they face.
- Build strong relationships with the children they are paired with and support them to be involved in shaping Akwaaba’s children’s project.
- Provide feedback to the Children’s Supervisors about any issues or problems that they observe, including safeguarding concerns, behavioural difficulties, and problematic group dynamics.
Volunteers will need to be able to attend a training session at 6.30-9pm on Wednesday 24th April. A DBS check is required for this role, which we will support you to apply for.
If you are interested, please email Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to apply for this role, please email us by 15th April.